Saturday, February 28, 2009

Oh, Canada (Part 4): North Of America


North Of America is probably my favorite of all the Canadian bands I planned on covering in this "ongoing" series. And since this could very well be my last post for awhile, I figured, go out with a bang. North Of America went from originally sounding like Pavement and Polvo had a love child, to getting heavier and more technical. Eventually getting to a point where they sounded fairly similar to singer/guitarist Michael Catano's other band, The Plan. They broke up in 2003. But have reunited numerous times. In 05 they got back together to do a Canadian tour with Ted Leo. And they just recently played a couple shows at the end of this past December which marked their 10th anniversary as a band. I fucking hate myself for missing those shows because now I'll probably have to wait for some other anniversary or special occasion to see them. They will always have a special place in my heart. Fans of blah, blah and blah should definitely listen to them.


-matthew st.

their stuff I have in chronological order...

Buy them from a independent record store if you like them
Or you can get them all from Rewika Records Online.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for posting this. i listened to north of america all of the time a couple of years back, but somehow lost all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tunes that were recorded during some session (probably their last record) that never came out have now found a home: a cassette courtesy of Bart Records - www.myspace.com/revolutionwinter - check it out!

    ReplyDelete