Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Criteria - En Garde

Stephen Pedersen is a unsung musical hero of mine. I don't know why don't I throw his name around when talking influences. I really should. The White Octave is one of my all time favorite bands, and he was the brains behind them. He was also in Cursive. I really could give two shits about that band though. Because the only albums I've heard by them that i liked, had Stephen Pedersen on them. So yeah, get more cellos dOOdz! I listened to this album in full the other night after god knows how long. I remember waiting for its release. I was so excited to hear it. The realization that I had listened to this album a hell of alot hit very quick the other night. And it was awesome to reminisce. I don't remember being so fond of there follow up to this album. But maybe ill have to go back and listen. Criteria was a band that I aloud to fall out of my favor. And it wasn't even because of the music that band was making. It was because of my usual bullshit. I mentioned White Octave too many times to Criteria fans who responds with a unanimous "huh?" Enough to make a man vomit. The kids who did know of White Octave, didn't like them because they had gone backward from Criteria to discover them. I started my usual hate think. Where I start thinking of more accessible bands as inferior. Criteria gets a pass. I love this album. "Me on your front porch" was a lovey mix CD staple of mine for fucking years. And "Rescue Rescue" is fucking outrageously out of place and beautiful. I don't even know if they exist anymore as a band. well, hopefully Stephen Pedersen is doing something musical.

Buy it if you like it.

1 comment:

  1. yes, they are still together, and you should probably revisit the second album... i did recently.

    You should give the later cursive albums another listen, Domestica is a classic and so is ugly organ. Don't hate on them unless you really listen and don't get caught up in the "scene appeal or approval"

    also, its cool you know about his band in between cursive and criteria, but, don't hold it against people if they don't. Fuck, i didn't even know about them until i started getting into criteria before the album came out.

    Being a fan is simply that. Some people obsess about it like us. Some people love the band and don't need to know he was in cursive or White Octave or that he Started Team Love with Conor. But, don't let that affect the way you feel about it.

    ReplyDelete