Saturday, January 24, 2009

Suis La Lune - Heir


Up until this point, the majority of what I have posted have just been favorite albums and bands of mine. And personally, I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. But I'm changing it up today. Instead of posting back to back all time favorite albums, I decided to post today about a band I just heard for the first time earlier this month. This 4 song EP has been on repeat pretty much since first hearing it.

Suis La Lune is a Swedish screamo band. And when I use that term, it is completely related to what that genre used to be and not what the hot topic going masses would try to have you believe it is today. Think of bands from Virginia and Canada in the mid 90’s. The best example for comparison might be the band Indian Summer from California. Suis La Lune plays a style of music consistent with all those bands, but adds elements of later acts that might be tagged “emo.” The guitarists often play together in a way on this EP that brings to mind both Indian Summer and American Football. The loud, screamy and aggressive sound is surprisingly complimented by breaks of clean, beautiful, intricate guitar work. Only to build up and explode again.

If you are at all familiar with the genres and bands I've discussed above, “Heir” will just make sense to you. Its not difficult to see what the band is trying to go for stylistically. Suis La Lune plays a style of music that I thought was dead. I’m glad, in this case, its not.

-matthew st.


If you like the album, buy it from your local independent record store
or you can get it from Suis La Lune's webstore

More songs and American tour dates can be found at Suis La Lune's Myspace page.

No comments:

Post a Comment