Friday, January 30, 2009

Eyes Averted - Self Titled EP

I love Eyes Averted. They are one of the best, most original acts the Syracuse, NY area has offered. Yep, I said it. I’ve known these guys for an incredibly long time and I’ve seen them progress and get better and better over the years. In my personal opinion, they have really peaked with the sound they established on their full length “Paralyzing Passion and Motion”, released in 2006. Having seen pretty much every incarnation of the band leading up to that album and hearing all the different sounds they produced up to that point, I can easily say that they hit their sweet spot. The power trio. Time tested, mother approved.

The “Eyes Averted” EP continues with their trade mark style, and they are still on top of their game. 4 songs, almost all of them under 3 mins long. But from the brief inhale of breathe at the beginning of “Epidemic Of Disaster” to the end of “Casting Shadows” this EP does not let you down for a second. The opening track immediately kicks in with EA’s high energy. Powerful screams, vocal harmonies, noodlely/riffy guitar parts, technical drumming and equally technical bass work. I mean, this is Eyes Averted’s bread and butter. If you’ve heard them before, none of this will be a surprise to you. This EP is a great follow up to “Paralyzing Passion and Motion.” Pretty much continuing, and expanding where they left off.

If you havent heard them, well, where the fuck have you been? A Disturbed concert? While so many bands out there, that I suppose could be considered contemporaries to EA, are trying to make Calculating Infinity: Part Deux, Eyes Averted plays there own kind of mathy metal that in no way sounds anything like that. Its spazzy. Its all over the place. Start/Stop dynamics. Overall, its refreshing.

How this band is not signed and the biggest thing around is beyond me. Honor Bright is on MTV with all their mediocrity and yet this band sleeps in obscurity? I’ll never understand why things are the way they are in music. Hopefully someday soon Eyes Averted will get the credit they deserve. The members of EA are all over the country now but expect them to keep releasing amazing music in the future. Please just do yourself a favor and check out this band!

On a personal note, I would just like to thank the band for allowing me to hear and review this EP before its even released. You can trust I've listened to it more times then I can count in the couple days I've had it. Haha.

-matthew st.

The EP I reviewed is going to be coming out in the near future. "For The Weary", one of the tracks off of the EP, is on Eye Averted's Myspace page. Go listen to that track and the other songs they have up there.
I also highly recommend purchasing their full length “Paralyzing Passion and Motion”

No comments:

Post a Comment