Monday, January 19, 2009

Lisabö - Ezarian


Anyone who has talked to me in depth about music lately has probably heard me mention this band. This is the first album I ever heard by them, and I still think it is outrageous. Its by the band Lisabö. They formed in 1998 in Spain. In their 11 years of existence they have released four albums and an EP. “Ezarian” was released in 2000 and is their second album.

“Matt, describe them with one word.” Okay. Powerful. Since forming, they have forged a unique sound for themselves. I can honestly say that they are the first band I have heard with two drummers that I don’t think ,“What the fuck is the point of this? They are playing the exact same thing the whole time!” Lisabö’s drummers have a way of playing off each other, playing in between each others lines, that mingle and intertwine in such a way that at times tricks you into thinking there is only one drummer. The music they produce will sound new and yet, familiar to anyone who knows enough of the genre. At times you can hear elements of everything from Shellac to Fugazi to Unwound to Sonic Youth.

This album starts off quiet with whispers and moody guitar/cello interplay and then wacks you upside the head when the second song kicks in with its driving rock. The contrast of quiet and moody & powerful and passionate runs all through out this album. What they are going for is so easy to grasp that is doesnt even matter to me that they aren't singing in English. Which is honestly, the only thing I can see turning people off to this album and band. But its definitely worth checking out.

-matthew st.

Personal Album Highlights:

-Hemen Naiz Ez Gelditzeko Baina
-Ur Gainean

I don’t honestly know if you can get their albums in America, but I would highly suggest checking your local record store.
More of their music can be found at their myspace page.
Here is a live video of them playing the song "Hemen Naiz Ez Gelditzeko Baina" & some of the song "Ez Nago Maitatzeko Prest" from the "Ezarian" album.

No comments:

Post a Comment