Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Joiya


I'm going to try to keep it short today as per Tisdale's request/expectations of us contributors. But believe me that I could go on and on about Joiya. They are great people and good friends of mine. They are also probably one of my all time favorite bands I've ever seen live.

This Michigan band blew my fucking mind when I first saw them 5 years ago. It was another case of “why does this awesome band, like my shitty band?” haha. The four piece consisted of a guitarist, drummer, cello player and a piano/violin player. Both male and female vocalists. They played an awesome blend of mellow and high energy indie rock. They also did some extremely mathy and technical stuff. These guys are real musicians and their music can easily be appreciated by other musicians. But I think fans of bands like Aloha and Rachel’s could easily get into them. They sadly don’t play anymore because the members are spread all over the country. Its truly sad because they created some really beautiful and original music together. One can only hope that Joiya will someday be able to reunite and produce more awesomeness.

-matthew st.

Here is their amazing full length Sometimes Is And Kinda
I've also uploaded their unfinished album. Just note that the unfinished album is just that, unfinished. Its unmixed and alot of the songs are just ideas. The few "finished" songs are quality though. Included with that is a track off a Xmas comp that they did and a demo song "Rogue", which would go on to be called "Rivers."
You can get all of that right here.

Sometimes Is And Kinda personal highlights (even though i love the entire album):
-We're Just Gonna...
-Kill Colours With Kindness
-June/July

Unfinished Album personal highlights:
-Suicide Is Painless
-Death and Departed
-The Funearl

No comments:

Post a Comment