Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mock Orange – Nines & Sixes

41mgibLAa9L._SS500_
Recently the love of my life broke up with me. It was sudden, unexpected and uncalled for. I’ve been having one of the hardest times in my life since. I’ve been looking for escape in any form that I can find it. And since I don't do drugs or drink, that pretty much equals: friends, music, and artistic expression. My friends are few and far between. Usually very busy with their own lives. For whatever reason, my own artistic expression is severely limited. The last time a girl I loved broke my heart, I wrote a whole album about it. Now, I cant even seem to finish a song. So that leaves me with the music I love. Some things I listen to, no matter how much I love them, aren’t able to cut through my state of depression. But I have found that there are two albums that have been able to put me in a good state of mind. Along with Suis La Lune’s EP “Heir”, “Nines & Sixes” by Mock Orange works. And it works quite well. This is a band that I sadly cant stand now. I think this album, and its follow up “The Record Play”, is the reason behind that. Mock Orange was such an amazing band. There is pretty much NO basis for direct comparison to ANY other bands that existed. In a lot of reviews they get compared to Sunny Day Real Estate. But I’m sorry I just don't hear it. I’ve read reviews that mention them like they were just another mid 90’s emo rip off band that didn't do anything new for the genre. THATS FUCKING BULLSHIT! Not a single review of this album, or its follow up, talk anything about the beauty or the technical proficiency Mock Orange used to exert. “Nines & Sixes” is the bands first full length album. And I know that for me and a lot of people, its a milestone. The band used to play a form of emo that, while influenced by bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, was completely original. The term math rock gets thrown around a lot. But i really feel like Mock Orange was sort of a godfather of where parts of that genre have gone. Off kilter time changes, weird time accents, absolutely awesome drum lines. And all the while having a great understanding that you can do all of that, and still write a catchy song. The thing that i think i am mostly drawn to about this record right now in my life, is the lyrics. I used to always listen to this album because of the awe inspiring song structures. But now, I’m finding songs that have meaning and say things that I feel. I like that. And i think that me finding it in something I already have a great connection to really makes me happy. I can listen to this album start to finish numerous times, and it never gets old for me. I’ve been listening to it a lot lately. Cause like I said, there are few things that make me happy in the world now. This album is one of them. I will cherish it forever. Even though I don't like the band anymore. haha. If you haven't listened to this album before, and like mid 90’s emo bands, do yourself a favor and check it out. Its energetic. Its different. Its important to me.
Buy it if you like it

Here's video of the boys playing "Window Shopping" off of Nines & Sixes live.


No comments:

Post a Comment