Thursday, May 13, 2010

Majority Rule

l_27a0948f94b44f3999b2512de6853d80
Majority Rule is a all time favorite band of mine. It all started senior year of high school. They opened up one of the punk shows that happened at the Westcott Community Center every Friday Night. They actually opened for Syracuse locals Just Passed. And i had friends in that band. I remember watching Majority Rule with them, and thinking “why is this band OPENING this show?” only to have my friend from Just Passed lean over and say to his band mate “I cant believe this band is opening for us!” haha. I was hooked and from that point on, tried to see them every time they played town. They were one of the tightest live bands i had seen. And they were playing some of the heaviest, highest energy, screamy whatever music I had heard. To call Majority Rule hardcore is a disservice in my honest opinion. There are moments on their albums that are absolutely beautiful. There are moments that are unbelievably heavy. They have got everything. That is what the band was known for. Majority Rule’s sound can be traced back to the VA screamo sound. But they added variants to that sound like atmospherics, time changes and other musical ideas that made them completely unique. To this day, they are one of the LOUDEST bands I’ve ever seen. A three piece and yet they sounded as loud as a five piece metal band with full stacks. haha. No clue how they did it. Majority Rule was the band I heard that got me away from your typical hardcore bullshit. They got me to listen to different screamy types of music that, in my opinion, are even more passionate and intelligent then any of that straight, fast, typical bullshit. This recommendation is sort of all over the place. Its so hard to write about this band. They are just so musically important to me. I hope that when I have kids some day that this is what I grow up listening to around them. haha. Is that weird? haha. I really wish this band did not break up. I KNOW I am not alone in that dream. Their shows were some of the best times of my life. Its very rare that you have a band playing songs this heavy, without some dumbass starting a mosh pit. But it never happened. And I loved that. I loved people singing along. Clapping. It was right up there with Syracuse locals Bad Cops for best show atmosphere. Majority Rule and Nakatomi Plaza at the Westcott still ranks up there as one of the best shows I’ve ever been at. I’ve lost my point. Sorry, this is worship. I don't care. This band was amazing. They deserve every sort of accolade. Every talk up. They deserve it all. I really wish they had put out a full length. I really wish they put out a CD or album of old shit from splits and EP’s. But those will remain dreams. I’m so glad this band existed. A short story to end this blog. My birthday is coming up this month. Years ago, I had a birthday coming up and saw that Majority Rule was playing a show in I believe Rochester, NY the day before. I was going to treat myself and go. I ended up emailing them and telling them. And i told them my favorite song of theirs was “I Need No More” off of their 7 inch. And i asked if they could play it for me. Turned out, they were playing here in Syracuse on my birthday. I hadn't heard of the show for whatever reason. But Majority Rule agreed to play it! I couldn't believe it. Well the worst thing happened. My ride and everything got fucked up, and i didn't get to go. i was really depressed. And the worst for me personally was that they actually played the song and gave a birthday shout out to me. EXCELLENT! I've never got over missing that. But like, that just gives you a idea as to what great guys Majority Rule were on top of everything else. They would go out of their way for some random person they don't know, just because that person loves their band. I pray for a reunion every time i listen to them. One of the most important bands of my life. Which may be surprising to most people.
Self Titled 7 inch
Interviews With David Frost
Split with Pg. 99 (Just the Majrule portion. Sorry)
Emergency Numbers
there are other splits and things out there, but these are essential. I would also say try to find the song “Now Breathe.” That song fucking destroys.
1521

No comments:

Post a Comment